Mercy wins rights to Comets stadium name
INSIDE CENTRAL: We tour its long-dark corridors
Architect confirms plans to renovate Amherst’s old Central School
Residents escape Pinecrest apartment blaze
Amherst goes back to school!
- Mercy wins rights to Comets stadium name - 6:42 pm
- FAIR: Veterans, EMTs settle into new home - 2:27 pm
- FAIR: A real country experience - 11:22 am
- FAIR: Would you believe some folks have never seen… - 11:10 am
- FAIR: All in a day’s work for reporter - 12:43 pm
- PHOTOS: Having a fair-ly good time on Wednesday - 12:31 pm
- JVS BACK-TO-SCHOOL: Doors now open to all freshmen - 3:37 pm
- SCENES FROM THE FAIR! - 2:50 pm
- At rally, county fair flag sales condemned - 2:08 pm
- Crownings kick off fair week - 10:02 am updated: 12:39 pm.
- FAIR: 38 Special? More like 138 decibels! - 8:18 pm
- Need more spaces? Downtown parking blossoms - 7:53 pm
- INSIDE CENTRAL: We tour its long-dark corridors - 7:51 pm
- Central’sstrangebut truehistory - 10:50 am updated: 7:53 am.
- Amherst teen injured in suspected alcohol-related crash - 2:34 pm
- Uthe named new JVS communications director - 1:20 pm
- Call goes out for blood donors - 10:54 am
- Architect confirms plans to renovate Amherst’s old Central School - 6:28 am
- Scouts to honor Oley as Distinguished Citizen - 11:17 am
- Dogs and kids ready to shine in Canine Royal Court - 9:17 pm
- POLICE REPORTS - 11:48 am
- FIRELANDS VARSITY FALL SCHEDULES - 12:14 pm
- PHOTOS: German Fest meets Ohio weather - 10:15 pm updated: 10:16 pm.
- UH MedEvac up close: Care in the air - 10:13 pm
- PHOTOS: Tiny firefighters get geared up - 9:54 pm
- The last days of Kmart - 2:10 pm updated: 2:10 pm.
- Record-breaking, bubbly show - 1:05 pm
- Elder mental health training coming to Amherst - 12:31 pm
- Residents escape Pinecrest apartment blaze - 7:16 pm
- NEXUS project clears environmental hurdle, promises cash - 1:56 pm
- No bomb, just a timepiece at Nordson - 1:30 pm
- Amherst goes back to school! - 10:12 am updated: 10:15 am.
- BACK TO SCHOOL: Earlier start, bright outlook - 9:45 am
- Powers: ‘Clean, sparkly, and ready’ - 9:45 am updated: 9:57 am.
- Harris: Bittersweet start in what could be school’s final year - 9:45 am
- Nord: Positive behaviors and hard work - 9:45 am
- AJHS: Orchestra kicks off, Coleman eyes bond issue - 9:45 am
- Steele: From construction to college courses - 9:45 am
- ‘This is where we ignite ideas’ - 9:45 am
- Amherst Schools 2016 bus routes - 9:40 am
- Firelands regroups after levy loss - 9:07 am
- Cork’s and Stubby’s closes, owner faces felony rape trial - 9:46 pm updated: 9:47 pm.
- POLICE: Sibling stabbed in downtown argument - 9:46 pm
- POLICE REPORTS - 9:25 pm
- Schools shy from transgender policy, eyeing court case - 6:27 pm
- PHOTOS: Jammin’ to the sounds of summer - 8:33 am
- Cops give details on daytime robberies - 1:19 pm
- Red-hot sounds as band drills under the harsh sun - 12:43 pm
- PHOTOS: They’re b-b-b-band to the bone! - 12:43 pm updated: 12:44 pm.
- Library summer contest winners named - 1:45 pm
Crownings kick off fair week
Crowns, awards, and poignant words were handed out to the sound of vibrant 4-H Band music Monday at the Lorain County Fair’s 2016 opening ceremo...
FAIR: 38 Special? More like 138 decibels!
Photos by Jason Hawk | Civitas MediaShredding guitar solos? Yes, please. Classic rock band 38 Special brought back 30-year-old memories without giving...
Need more spaces? Downtown parking blossoms
Having trouble finding a place to park downtown?There’s good news — Amherst’s heart is getting about 65 new parking spaces.Mayor Mar...
INSIDE CENTRAL: We tour its long-dark corridors
It feels like trespassing on a grave.Dust shoots up from the floors, where wood planks are loose in spots, creaking ominously. Green and gold paint ha...
Fires have played a crucial role in Central School’s history — and did you know the largest was caused by poop?It’s strange but true...
Amherst teen injured in suspected alcohol-related crash
A 19-year-old Amherst man was seriously injured in an early Thursday crash in Amherst Township.Alexander Brotzki was a passenger in the single-vehicle...
CROSS COUNTRY: Comets girls get great start against state-ranked teams at Preview
The Amherst girls cross country team began its season in outstanding fashion Saturday, finishing in the top 10 at the OHSAA’s State Preview Meet...
FIRELANDS VARSITY FALL SCHEDULES
Football• Aug. 26 at 7 p.m. at home vs. Edison• Sept. 2 at 7 p.m. at home vs. Brooklyn• Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. at Vermilion• Sept. ...
Preseason pressure on as opener vs. Kenston nears
Photos by Jason Hawk | Amherst News-TimesPracticing in near-100-degree heat means frequent breaks for water. But the Comets are looking in good form t...
Ryan Rua, digital slugger
I helped Ryan Rua win a home run contest.It’s true.Playing Tap Sports Baseball 2016 on my Android phone, I’ve been slowly building a roste...
COMETS FOOTBALL PREVIEW: Road to success is never an easy one
A difficult road tends to lead to greater rewards.The Amherst Comets went 0-10 in 2015 following seasons of 1-9 and 2-8. Third-year head coach Bill Fi...
Auditions for “Dearly Beloved” by the Workshop Players will be held June 13 and 14. Due to incorrect information submitted to the News-Tim...
ENGAGEMENT: Melanie Offineer and Adam Schaffer
Melanie Offineer and Adam Schaffer, both of Dayton, have announced their engagement.The bride-elect is the daughter of Martin and Nita Offineer of Amh...
Flowers for unmarked Crownhill graves
Death came too soon for the 27 who died suddenly on March 26, 1916, their lives cut short when titanic trains collided on Amherst railroad tracks.And ...
100-year-old newspaper page treasured by family
Here is an amazing piece of history: Linda Horvath took a very special relic to Tuesday’s 100th anniversary of the Great Train Wreck.The Amherst...
CEREMONY: Monument dedicated to victims of the Great Train Wreck of 1916
An old legend says whenever you hear a cardinal sing, it’s the spirit of a loved one come back to visit.Birdsong filled the air early Tuesday as...
100 YEARS: Great Train Wreck anniversary planned
A service to commemorate the souls lost 100 years ago in the Great Amherst Train Wreck of 1916 will be held March 29.As the date nears, a recently-sur...
Heat, penny candy, and salad recipes
It’s too hot to cook unless you have air conditioning. Can you imagine having to work around all the hot ovens of a restaurant, or even at a fac...
Losing weight is better with support
I miss my wonderful friends at Take Off Pounds Sensibly. Since I don’t get off work until late, I haven’t been able to attend meetings. On...
The pain of losing Luke
It’s been three months now and I no longer cry every day, just most days.It’s all about Luke, our sweet boxer/pit mix who we lost quite su...
Make fair treats at home
Soon the Lorain County Fair will be here. I usually get a weekly pass. My friend Elaine and I usually go on Thursday for Senior Citizens Day as itR...
Area skaters defend national title
The Country Skateland Skating Club just got back from the 2016 United States Roller Skating National Championships held July 24-Aug. 1 in Lincoln, Neb...
Fairway to open mortgage office on Rt. 58
A Fairway Independent Mortgage office will open this month in Amherst.The company is planning a soft opening soon at 315 North Leavitt Rd., next to Fi...
Have fun… but know your fireworks rules
There’s the old joke: Independence Day is the holiday when we show how much we love our country by blowing up a small part of it.No doubt firewo...
Hot Dog Heaven turns 40
“There’s so much tradition and history in this building,” says Chris Russo, sitting upstairs at Hot Dog Heaven, an Amherst landmark....
Flea market founder celebrates 100th birthday
If you’re a treasure-seeker, Jamie’s Flea Market in South Amherst is the X that marks the spot.It’s a trove of crafts, rare books, c...
End could be nigh for vacant Angelo’s
The former Angelo’s restaurant will likely be demolished soon unless the owner steps forward with major plans.“This building has been foun...
Kmart going out of business in September
SuperK is in its twilight.Management at Sears Holdings has announced 68 Kmart and 10 Sears stores nationwide will close this summer, and the Lorain lo...